One of the most exciting phases of new home construction is watching all the final finishes come together. When working with a custom home builder, you’ll be heavily involved in choosing the finishes that give your home personality and style, and the bathroom is no exception.
Selecting bathroom finishes for custom homes typically begins with the walls because they cover the largest surface and dictate how you will carry your design concept throughout the bathroom space.
The following bathroom finishes for custom homes are comprised of various materials that also vary in price for materials and installation. You will want to figure both into your budget based on square footage requirements.
- Tile comes in a variety of different materials including stone, glass, porcelain, and more. Tile offers an elegant and expensive look without blowing your budget. It can also be used for a variety of surfaces in the bath, continuing onto the floor and even on cabinet tops.
- Stone, which adds a natural, elegant look, can be purchased in large sheets for walls and cabinet tops or in cut into tiles for floors and trim.
- Glass walls can be used to define the shower area or the entire bathroom. It’s an ideal bathroom finish for custom homes that incorporate modern design and don’t require privacy.
Trim Your Bathroom Budget
The least costly of all the bathroom finishes for custom homes is painted wallboards, acrylic or laminate. For baths that aren’t used very often, you might ask your builder to consider more budget-friendly options throughout the house.
If you opt for wallboards with a paint finish, select an oil-based paint and seal it with a waterproof coating.
- Single-sheet plastic is available in a variety of colors and styles. This is typically the least expensive option among bathroom finishes for custom homes and is available in a variety of colors.
- Acrylic is often used to surround the tub or shower for a guest bath. These are available in a wide range of prices, shapes, and styles, but are usually white or off-white with built-in shelves.
- Laminate is offered in both a single-sheet or as tiles with a high-gloss, glass-like finish or in a more traditional look for your bathroom finish in a custom home. This material is easy to install, lightweight and endures wear and tear for years. A large variety of colors and patterns will offer you something for the imagination.
Bathroom Finishing Touches
Select the bathroom finishes for your new custom home that complements the other finishes you’ve selected throughout the house. There are many bathroom finishes for custom homes to be discovered for your hardware and fixtures including chrome, satin nickel, copper, oil-rubbed bronze, brass, mixed metals, matte black and other trending options such as “rose gold.” Most of these finishes are designed to suit any style you employ.
Although your head might be spinning just thinking of what you would select for the bathroom finishes for your custom home, remember that you’re going to spend quite a bit of time in this space to make it your own and enjoy it for years to come. Contact Passage Island Construction today to start your perfect custom build!